CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 7, 2008

3 day weekend fun!

What a great weekend! Matt and I had such a productive and fun weekend; just thinking back to it makes me feel more alive. Due to fourth of July, I had a 3 day weekend, which gave us enough time to go visit both sets of parents, watch some fireworks, pack and move things out of our place in Asheville, and buy clothes etc. for Japan.
Though there were a number of times I wished I could blog about what was going on, I just did not have the time, or the energy to do so until now.
We first went to Morganton, where Matt's mom had an amazing little device that could digitize VHS tapes. I fell in love with it, and was thus allowed to bring it to Charlotte with me to continue turning my old home movies and high school marching band VHS tapes into files on my computer. soo cool!
While in Morganton, we also got to watch 4th of July fireworks. See the below video for the opening of the fireworks... I got tired of taping...but the fireworks got even better...and it was pretty adorable listening to all the young kids "oohing and ahhing" over their favorite types of fireworks. I believe this was only my 4th fireworks 4th of July. (Well, official fireworks anyway).

Saturday we ate Vermont buttermilk pancakes and maple syrup, a wedding present, courtesy of the Sease's (friends of Matt's family). Obviously we started our day out right. It continued to go right when we got to Charlotte and were able to find great deals on the vast majority of the clothes I still needed to purchase for Japan. Poor matt had to wait about in a store for 2 hours...but it was worth it as we also got him two coats.
I love going to Charlotte and spending time with my mom. She is so fun to be around. She makes me laugh. I love being with my two favorite people in the world my mom and matt. Of course when those two get together I am in trouble. I get picked on so much!! But I love them both so much, even being teased has its fun side!
Early Sunday morning we met Kelly, Chris, and Clay (step sister, sister's fiance (?), and step dad) for church service at Elevation. There are a number of "odd" things about this church. First being it has three campuses, one of which is my old high school, which is where we go. So, when I get up and go to Church I end up parking in my old high school parking lot, and if I am not fully awake yet, I get the strange feeling that I am about to head into Calculus class...eek!
Some other odd thing about this church are that the head pastor is a 28 years old guy who wears jeans and t-shirts to preach, and the musical worship is quite similar to a rock concert, and the vast majority of the songs they sing are written by the band and pastor...pretty cool in my book.
NEway...church service was great, and heart breaking. the worship leader and his wife have twin baby girls in the hospital that were delivered at just 26 weeks. Things don't look so good for the girls, especially the smaller one. Steven (the pastor) decided that, since they were releasing their second worship CD that day, that all the money (not just the profit...but everything) earned from the sell of the CD on Sunday, would go towards dealing with the twins medical bills. Needless to say my mom and Matt both bought a copy. =) of course I am pretty sure they were going to buy it anyway, its just that much better when the money goes to help is such a visible way.
Okay okay. I am getting a bit to long on this entry. It is several days worth of activities all rolled into one writing secession so it is a bit much. All in all Matt and I feel so connected to each other and to our families as a result of a fantastic weekend of fun and family.
I am going to choose to ignore all the deadlines staring me in the face tonight due to going to Japan. Except I will say, I have ten more days until I stop working at the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, and 18 days until I fly out to Japan!! eeeeekk!

0 comments: